Monday 25 July 2011

Essential Maternity Working Wardrobe..

OK, at the risk of alienating some of my loyal readership, I am going to dip my toe into the niche waters of the maternity clothing market, of which I have recently become rather more interested (I think you'll only need one guess) and highlight a few observations I've gathered.
It's unchartered territory for me, and having been spoilt by the plethora of magazines and websites advising on every aspect of fashion for the non-preggos amongst us, I have recently found myself in something of a fashion wilderness, struggling to figure out the basics such as where (and when!) to get maternity jeans that look like actual normal jeans, how does one dress for a formal work environment when all the maternity tops seems to be billowing crinkle smock creations, what about a swimsuit that won't make me look (as much of a) beached whale...?

Tips on all these and more coming up... And anyone with any knowledge of these, or any related matters, please leave a comment and I'll add your feedback to this or a subsequent post. But first topic I'll tackle will be:

Formal Workwear



Also known as, what a nightmare. The first question is, what should I buy? Yes I'm going to be pregnant for months, but then I won't be, and I'm not particularly inclined to spend a fortune on workwear that will subsequently sit in a drawer for years (plenty of other things I can blow a fortune on now, after all).

The answer is, with the following well-priced staples that will work well together, you can build a decent capsule working wardrobe around the existing stuff that you still fit into- one that won't blow the budget but will still leave you looking sharp (as is possible with a large bump protruding from around the area where you used to have a waist). They are all fairly sober colours which are typically more flattering, versatile and smart, qualities that won't go amiss in the coming months.

1. Black Trousers. No need to explain this choice, but I will recommend these Classic Trousers from Mamas and Papas which come in short, regular and long, and look smart, but importantly are comfortable too. These ones are 'under bump' which is fairly self-explantory, but I think for trousers this looks smarter.

2. Black Skirt. Another wardrobe staple. You'll probably find that you ave a numbe rof tops (particularly knitwear) that still fit so with smart maternity bottoms you can give these a new lease of life. It has to be a pencil skirt to give you a smart streamlined sillhouette, and in this instance I think 'over the bump' looks better, with the illusion of a 50s style high waiste. Check this one out from TopShop- it's jersey so still comfortable, and double layered so no flashing your undies in the sun.

3. Plain Dress. Dresses will become like your best friend who you don't phone enough- forgiving, flattering, and always available when others just don't fit the bill. You may be lucky enough to have smart jersey dresses (especially wrap styles) in your wardrobe already, in which case these should come in handy for at least a while yet. Maternity dresses sometimes don't tend to be smart enough for a really formal business environment, but I think this Summer Shift Dress from Seraphine is perfect, also this Pencil Shift Dress from TopShop is lovely but selling out fast. Unless you've really kept up with the pregnancy Pilates, I'd recommend dresses with a sleeve or at least covering the top of the arms, this looks smarter and more refined. And keep it plain, that way you cna get away with wearing it more often..!

4. Top. OK, like I said, plenty of tops out there but very few I've found that are smart or formal enough- and so few decent shirts??!! This Grey Pinstripe Shirt is sharp, and comes in White as well. The other thing you could really do with are a selection of Maternity Vests (I prefer these to 'bump covers' as I think they're more versatile) so that you can remain your demure self with nothing on show, despite an ever expanding bust and bump. These Long Vest Tops are 3 for 2 from Mamas and Papas, and I'd recommend you get the White, Black and Grey for work. (Long enough to cover the zip that won't quite do up if you haven't gravitated towards the Maternity Trousers yet- added bonus). Yummy Mummy has a nice line in maternity wear also, this Silk Top looks good with black separates.
5. Trench Coat. Although the weather is fairly questionable at the moment it's still a little early for Coats so not a great deal to recommend yet, especially as this also depends on your dates and when you'll need one for. I'd play safe with a black or beige trench coat for now, such as This One from Seraphine again (who incidentally have a lovely range). In terms of Jackets/Blazers, if you're lucky you'll be able to keep wearing (albeit open) the ones you have for quite a while- if you can get away without buying one then great.

Of course a suit with a well-fitting jacket would come in handy- but in all honestly I haven't found one I like enough yet. Which isn't to say it's not out there somewhere, but give that maternity suits are not cheap, and that you're able to build a smart stylish wardrobe with pieces such as the above, I'm not sure one is strictly necessary. But of course if I find one I'll keep you informed.

And finally, shoes with a small heel or wedge, such as these Carvela Wedges, will ensure you can continue to observe at the twin alters of Comfort and Style- and the accessories? Well I'll leave that bit at least, down to your imagination... Although I will tell you that I don't think a cocktail ring ever looks out of place.

Hope that has been helpful, more to follow at some point!





No comments:

Post a Comment